|Cannon-terrace, Inner Court-yard, Palas, Historic Castle Burg Gutenfels,
above the Pfalz in Rhine by Kaub, Germany
Between Wiesbaden, Ruedesheim, Assmannshausen, Lorelei, St.Goarshausen, Braubach, Marksburg, Lahnstein, Koblenz, and Cologne
View from the Cannon-terrace
of Castle Gutenfels over to the Castle Pfalz
in Rhine by Kaub.
|Gutenfels Castle, situated on a rocky ridge
above the pretty little town of Kaub, was
once one of the most important defence facilities of the Rhine valley.
The castle was erected about 1200 under instructions from the ministers Falkenstein-Muenzenberg, who, although not of the same rank as nobility, were nevertheless relied upon by the emperor.
The Rhine terrace with view to the water castle Pfalzgrafenstein and the Rhine river valley.
|In 1252 the German King William of Holland laid
siege to the castle, its owners being supporters of the anti-king Conrad IV.
It is known that in 1267 the Rhine tolls, the castle and the town of Kaub belonged to the Counts in 1277, with supplementary agreements to 1291.
The new lords ascribed great value to their possession and a noble lineage appeared, one of whom being Count Adolf of Nassau who later became king (12921298).
It was in the King`s Hall that he accepted his election. King Ludwig the Bavarian favoured the castles and in 1326 several times held court there.
View of the Philosophers' Tower
in the Spanish Garden on Castle Gutenfels.
From the Philosophers' Tower and from
the Bellevue Tower to the left, you have
a wonderful view into the Rhine Valley
to the Pfalz in Rhine and the town of Kaub.
|In the Bavarian- Palatine War of Succession of
1503 to 1507, Landgrave William of Hessen besieged the town and castle for 39 days but had
to withdraw without result. The castle, rebuilt in 1508, has since been called Gutenfels.
In 1620 Kaub was besieged by the Spanish General Spinola and the "Spanish Cementery" is a reminder of this. In 1631 the Swedish allies of Hessen under General von Upden surprised Gutenfels, which surrendered in 1632.
In 1635 it was occupied by Imperial and Hessen-Darmstadt troops. These were dislodged by the French in 1645/1646.
In 1647 the castle yielded to General Mortagni after one day`s bombardment. In 1793 the castle surrendered to the French.
View into the inner court-yard of the Palace
of Burg Gutenfels.
Entrance to the rooms are from the wooden
galleries over the court-yard.
The small stage in the inner court-yard is
ideal for orchestral works or small theatre
|In 1805 the contents were put up for sale, in
1807 the woodwork and in 1813 the masonry.
In 1833 the archivist Friedrich Habel acquired the ruin and rescued it from further destruction. In 1888 it came into the possession of the architect Gustav Walter of Cologne who renovated it.
In 19521954 it was adapted as a rest home and for a short time after
1959 served as a youth meeting place.
Until 2006: a castle hotel.
|Castle Burg Gutenfels||Castle Rhine View, Historical||King's Hall, Castle chapel|
|Guestrooms||Castle ground plan, Towers, Rhine Terraces||Road map, Rail, Distances|
Castle Burg Gutenfels
D-56349 Kaub on Rhine
Closed 2006 December 31 and sold to a private person.
Castles in Germany - Middle Rhine Online - Kaub on Rhine
www.germancastles.com www.loreleytal.com | www.german-castles.biz | www.schlosshotel.biz
© 1997-2019 www.rhinecastles.com | E-Mail | Impressum
All rights reseved. Without guarantee.
Date: Dienstag, 01. Oktober 2019 - 5281